What If Your Plans Failed

Have you ever been in an unexpected turn in the road of life and you have no choice but to follow it? Because I have. I never mean to be either a researcher or a lecturer, but I have got an offer for a researcher. Do I accept it? Of course I do since it is a lucrative offer from one of the best countries in waste management. For someone with an interest in energy and material recovery from waste, what can be more honorable than this? You may ask, after you finish with that, what will you do? Well, words ain't even been invented yet. Yeah, finally I quote a saying of Dominic Toretto in Fast and Furious 7 when he speaks to Sean Boswell. Lol. If you have been in this situation too, proverb said it will end up in the place we are supposed to be. Hopefully so. Before getting the lucrative offer, here is what I am dealing with when my plans perish. A steep hazy road laid in front of me. 

Stage 1. Blaming others: dad, mam, little brother, even the government, moreover The Creator of Life. Literally, blaming everyone, including friends who are more successful than me. Lol. How ridiculous I was. Yes, I know. It is easier to re-tell the scene when we passed it already, isn't it. 

I shouted to dad and mam, Why couldn't you do something to help me to get a job? Both of you work for government, don't you.  You may read Because I am Loved for how I had a fight with my dad. I yelled to my little brother, Why aren't you there when I chose the majors for the beginning? I might choose a different major and wouldn't end up like this. Another ludicrous deed because I've earned the master degree, but I said I am in the wrong major (haha). Did you really do that? I mean you shouted to your parents? yelled to your little brother? Oh, come on, you must be joking. I don't believe it. Really? Those deeds by someone like you? Sorry, but yes I did. I told you I am not a perfect girl who always has good times and flawless temper, though I wish I am. Yet I hope these experience may enrich all of us so we wouldn't do the same mistakes anymore. Let's back to the topic. 

I thought getting a master degree, moreover a graduate degree abroad, could increase the probability for a decent career. Additionally, I got a scholarship from a government agency. Wait, are you trying to brag about yourself? No, don't get me wrong. Instead, I have no outstanding achievements. I never won a Science Olympiad or a Writing Competition. I was not even the best talented student in my school. I failed to enroll in any state universities for a bachelor degree and it was for two periods of times. After getting a bachelor degree, I was being unemployed for a year. If you ask me, You may not trying hard enough. I applied to more than 90 companies without any offer. You may need to make a personal approach. I contacted no less than 150 people, not only head of human resource development but also government agencies and ministries. I needed only one delightful answer, Come, work with me! Unfortunately, it didn't come. Man, you were so depressing. (haha) Now, you get the point and that's the story I was disappointed with the state and government. 

The worst of all, I pointed my finger at The Creator, How could You do this to me? You are more than able to do something, aren't You? Am I less making efforts? What do you want from me, exactly? Oh, The Lord of Heaven and Earth, please forgive this insane creature. Chewing the Goodness Over on how I struggle to have a position.

Stage 2. Blaming yourself. It is true, I ignited the fight with myself. I tried to find the answer on why I couldn't get any position. Am I not good enough? Did I do something wrong? Do I go to the wrong way? Do I take the wrong life purpose? Summing up all the questions, What's wrong with me? Yet the answers couldn't be found. The questions would just keep going on and on and led me astray.

If you are in one of those stages, let me tell you one thing. Blaming others or yourself will get you nowhere. Instead they hurt everyone around you and especially yourself. Believe me, I experienced them by myself. We could try our best and I think we should, but in fact, we can't really control anything in life. It is just way too predictable. Learn the whole thing with an open hand since we can only control our attitude toward the present moment. Chill out, enjoy a good conversation with friends and having a good meal with people you care about. At last, I quote a saying of Condoleezza Rice, the 66th United States Secretary of State.

"Life is full of surprises and and serendipity. Being open to unexpected turns in the road is an important part of success. If you try to plan every step, you may miss those wonderful twists and turns. Just find your next adventure-do it well, enjoy it-and then, not now, think about what comes next."
(Condoleezza Rice)

There is surely a future hope for you,
and your hope will not be cut off.
(Proverbs 23:18, NIV)

Comments