I Will be Back Better than I was

On Tuesday, 6 June 2017, I took my time for a walk starting from Gambir Train Station to Kuningan City Mall. Wait, hold on, did you say you go to Kuningan on foot? Yes, I did. Actually, we did, I and my younger brother. Are you guys insane? We were just having fun, in an uncommon way, I guess. From Central Jakarta to South Jakarta within 2 hours and it’s 45 minutes longer than Google Maps predicted. Such an achievement for us (haha). Anyway, it’s not what I am trying to say. When I walked over a bridge, I saw 3 skyscrapers on my right side which made Jakarta looked as modern, fancy, and fabulous as any other capital city. However, on my left side, a river with garbage, plastic bottles, and dark muddy water. It is dirty, polluted, and not a welcome sight. I am not trying to dramatize thing. Yet, indeed, it grieved me.

The Skyscrapers on the Right

The River on the Left

As a chemist which has a major in environmental chemistry, I know the standard parameter for a good, clean, and healthy environments as well as how to meet the requirements. As an engineer in energy and material recovery from waste, I am able to create valuable materials from waste. So, what did I do? Nothing. I kept walking to my destination, literally and maybe figuratively. At that time, I continued walking to Kuningan City Mall and now, I am about to leave this country. I will work for an institution in another country and pursue another degree there. Well, it is one thing that troubles me most. I know, I received a funding from government to pursue a master degree, so I deservedly give something back to my country. Believe me, I tried.

I contacted ministries, but they got no position for me. I applied for a consultant in some environmental agencies and Non-Government Organizations (NGO), yet no one took me seriously. I sent business proposals for zero waste industry to some investors and I haven’t got any reply. I passed a difficult time when my heart beg deperately: anyone, please let me work for you, I will do anything. Unfortunately, no one in this country gave me a chance to prove myself.

I am not dissapointed with my country. I also don’t burry my dreams. It is just hard to leave this country without doing anything. Amidst my concern, a friend of mine, Febby Widjayanto, said Perhaps The Navigator of life wants you to gain more knowledge from another country, so that someday you can go back here better. I should say Yes, I will be back better than I was. It should be so. Thanks, Feb, for sending me away with peace.        

There is a right time for everything on the earth.
God made everything beautiful in itself and in its time.
(Ecclesiastes 3, MSG, author’s modify)

Comments