Living Life to the Fullest

Have you ever felt that your life is going around in circles? Experiment in a laboratory. Write a research article. Submit the article to a publisher. Respond to reviews. Get the article published. Repeat. These pretty much sum up my life so far. I sat in a cushion with a cup of vanilla and caramel black tea in my hand, morosely contemplating my life. Surely life has been good to me. I am financially stable. My workplace appreciates and values my contributions. I am the picture of good health. I get a good education. I am making time for leisure. I am surrounded by good friends. Yet, I did not think the repetitive routine of my life could be compared with living life to the fullest. A feeling of uneasiness loomed up and threatened to overwhelm me. Tears were spilling down my cheeks as I sipped my tea.
 
Last Wednesday was a moment of epiphany for me as I shared my burdens with my friends. Derek said, "Life is like driving a car with a navigation system. There is a time when you will hear your navigation system tells you where to turn, which lane to use, and if there is a better route. There is also a time when it keeps silent without any traffic alerts. It is not because the navigation system is broken, it is because you are driving along a straight road. God can speak through windstorms, earthquakes, and fire. We can also hear Him in the gentle whisper. But there is a time when God seems silent. Actually, regardless of the circumstances, God is never silent. It's just He does not owe us any explanation." 
 
After listening to Derek, I was utterly dumbfounded. I was dissatisfied with my life, and I began to doubt God's plan. I sought an answer. Why did my life turn out like this? Did I miss something? Did I mess up my life? I searched as hard as I could. I tried to figure out everything. Yet, I failed miserably. I would never be able to make sense of life. So, I asked Him an explanation. Is this Your plan for me to live in a repetitive cycle? Are You sure You got this right? Have You verified Your plan for my life? (haha) Then I thought, even if God gave me an answer to my question, I could never fully comprehend Him and His way. Has anyone told God what He must do or given Him advice? Did God ask anyone to teach Him wisdom and justice? Who gave Him knowledge and understanding?          
 
 
That's it! I will not occupy myself with things too great or too awesome for me to grasp. Three things that I can do now. First, take heart, press on, stay with God. Julie shared how grateful she is that she receives the baton of faith from the previous generation. Whatever happened in the past, one thing for sure, her parents, grandparents, and even great-grandparents have stood firm in the faith. So, Julie has a privilege to see God's goodness. How beautiful it is! Life is hard indeed, but God is trying to make something out of me. Julie prayed that she will run well, finish strong, and pass on the faith to her children. Then, I have decided to be strong and courageous, for I know that God is with me wherever I go.     
 
Second, be content with who I am. Change what I can change. I do not need to worry about the things I can't change. Venture forth and try lots of different things. I will live carefree before God, for He cares about me.  
 
Third, living in gratitude. Thank God no matter what happens. When Daniel said that he learns to appreciate the little things in life, I realized that I overlooked many blessings in my life. I forgot them and simply took them for granted. Waking up healthy. Having three meals a day. Enjoying the summer sun. I also have those things Daniel mentioned. How ungrateful I was! In fact, my life is a bed of roses in the land of milk and honey now. Although nothing seems to be happening, it's worthy of celebration. I will take Oky's prayer of gratitude in quiet nothingness and make it mine. 
 
Another thing that I am grateful for is my friends! I could keep my head up and keep my heart strong, and this writing comes forth because they patiently listened to my babbling words and willingly shared their life stories. As Abraham and Yanti said, "Reach out in times of trouble, instead of shutting yourself off." Their words come true. It is better to have a friend than to be all alone. If I fall, my friend can help me up. But if I fall without having a friend nearby, I am really in trouble. For this, I will take Kelvin's prayer of thanks for friends as mine.

 
At last, I thought living life to the fullest meant having wow factors in life, like being a business tycoon, finding the best battery that can compete with Tesla, having a piano and a violin concert tour. Well, if I have enough capital and a great team, I will build a circular agriculture/farm and a dessert cafe with live acoustic music. If I have a huge research funding and a competitive yet cooperative project partner, I will immerse myself in sustainable battery research. If I have time and a good teacher to master the piano and violin, I will go to every competition and establish myself as a virtuoso. We live once. Having a dream is free. So, why not strive to live large and go for it. However, I cannot control all things. When I start a business, will it fold? Maybe so! Will the battery research go wrong? Maybe so! Will I lose in a violin or piano competition? Maybe so! At the end of the day, I can choose whether I let what I cannot control tomorrow ruin today or enjoy life now and have fun. According to Meriam-Webster online dictionary, living life to the fullest means to fully enjoy one's life. I choose to chill out and enjoy the moment now - trust God and have fun. 
 
So I think you should get as much out of life as you possibly can. 
There is nothing better than to be happy and enjoy your food and drink. 
Dress up, comb your hair, look your best, and have a good time. 
That way, you will experience some happiness 
along with all the hard work God gives you under the sun. 
Work hard at whatever you do. 
You will soon go to the world of the dead, 
where no one works or thinks or reasons or even knows anything.
(Ecclesiastes 8:15, 9:7-10, CEV, NLT) 

Comments