A Lesson from Dad: Go and Find Yourself


I’ve ever wonder how could someone study overseas? How does s/he pay the tuition? If their parents do, then how much do they earn monthly? Later, I have friends who study abroad and they are self-funding. I was very glad because they didn’t mind when I cross-questioned them. Believe me, the amount of money they have, no, their parents’ to be precised, very abundant. They are very rich. Up until now, I still couldn’t imagine a number with that bunch of zero. Geez! As for me, I’ve got a master degree in the United Kingdom because the government of Indonesia financed me.  

I am from mid-low social status family. My parents are civil servants. If they were in the top-level position, I might be able to study abroad with their supports. Unfortunately, they weren’t. They even don’t have a legacy from my grandparents since my grandparents also have nothing, except their house they live in ‘till now. So, nothing to sell for studying overseas. If there is no reason to hope, it is reasonable. However it is not me or, I can say, not my dad. He is a great man with impressive philosophies. He told me hundred times, no, million times, to fight the limitations. Thousand times I argued with him, but in the end, he was always right. I was finally able to go to UK, then at the moment, I am about to work and study in Stockholm, Sweden. He said he didn’t get that value easily. He went through many difficulties, just like as follow.

My dad started his career from the lowest point. He became someone who did whatever the boss ordered, even if it was not his job and he was told outside working hours. Yet, he didn’t complain. Besides, he strove himself to be a better person and getting a better position. Thus, he appealed to his boss to allow him joining an advance training. My dad didn’t have enough money to pay for the training, but if his boss allowed him to go, he would be able to get a training for free. So, did he get it? Unfortunately, no. All the more, he was mocked by his co-workers. They said he never could because for them, my dad was just a stupid person. How did my father know that they teased him? Because they did that in front of him. Surprisingly, my dad kept trying to ask. Such a bullheaded persistent person, isn’t he? It runs in the family though (haha). Until one day, was he able to go to the training?, no, otherwise, someone ruined his life and he was kicked out from his office and his home. How cruel. Who’s done that? The crazy thing is it was me. What?

At that time, I used a service from my dad’s institution. However, I didn’t get a good assistance. As note, no one knew that I am his daughter. Following up on that, I sent criticism and suggestions about customer service in the institution to a newspaper agency to be published in reader’s column. I only want to remind the institution about good attitudes towards society since the institution holds crucial formalities in my country. When my dad no longer worked there, my family should get out of our home because it was an official residence.

I feel really sorry for what happened to us, especially to dad and mom since I don’t have any idea what they’ve been going through ‘till I hear this story. Even so, my dad said it wasn’t my thoughtless. He admitted that before sending the writing to the newspaper agency, I asked my dad and mom permissions and they allowed me. Have you wonder why? Why my dad did that? Why he took the risk? He only said that it was the right thing to do. Someone should push the institution to improve its public services. My mom added that it was good for us as well because finally we could own a house.

Later, in his new workplace, actually still in the same institution, but in different branch office, my dad was able to join the training and pass all the examinations. People who mocked him before was proven wrong. Furthermore, my dad was promoted to be a head of division. He said to me that the truth will be revealed as the time passed by. Though people don’t like him, even tease him, he never doubted to do the right things. His hard works was paid off.

You have to go and find yourself. Once you’ve found it, be on guard and stay firm on it. Those words are for me as he closed his story before we enjoyed our supper together.

The way of the righteous is like the first gleam of dawn,
which shines ever brighter untill the full light of day.
(Proverbs 4:18, NLT)

Comments